Welcome to Social Science at Hinchingbrooke!
About Social Science
Social Science is the largest department in Sixth Form lead by experts in their fields. With a total of 5 subjects (Psychology, Sociology, Politics, Criminology and Health and Social Care), our aim is to equip students with curiosity into society and human behaviour whilst developing critical thinking, verbal reasoning, written communication and a deeper understanding and knowledge in a variety of areas from political understanding to providing person centred care.
All courses cover a 2-year timeframe.
- Psychology (AQA) – 11 topics are covered and three, 2-hour exams will be sat in June.
- Sociology (AQA) – 7 topics covered and three, 2-hour exams sat in June.
- Criminology (WJEC) – 4 units which are evenly distributed between exams, which are 90 minutes long and sat in June and coursework which is assigned throughout the 2 years.
- Politics (Edexcel) – 3 units covered and three, 2-hour exams sat in June.
- Health and Social Care (BTEC Extended Certificate or Diploma)* – Depending on the course chosen, there will be either 4 or 8 units that are a combination of exams (3) sat in January or May and coursework which is assigned throughout the 2 years.
* Health and Social Care will not be available for September 2020 start.
For more information on each course and suggested Year 11 transition work, please see each subject at the top of the page.
Each course requires an entry grade of 5 in English to be accepted onto the course. This is because these subjects assess students on their ability to write extended answers for up to 2 hours per exam and/or in coursework units.
Follow us on Twitter (@HBKSocSci)