Hinchingbrooke School Gifted and Talented
Physical Education Policy
It is our ambition that all Hinchingbrooke students reach their full potential on their learning journey. They will have developed self-confidence founded in their learning achievements and social skills. Their physical and spiritual well being will give them pride in their success and find their school life a lasting inspiration.
- Offer further opportunities for those pupils who show a particular excellence within Physical Education and Sport.
- To work closely within our partners and support those pupils who have significant demands on their time as a result of their high level performance.
Our aims within the PE department are
- To identify, challenge and support able pupils through the organisation of the curriculum and the extra-curricular opportunities.
- To encourage and support talent through emphasising the benefits and challenges of being a talented performer.
- To help pupils set targets to achieve their potential.
- To identify and support those pupils who have the ability to work above the expected level for their age.
- Perform exceptionally well at one or in many sports
- Pupils who demonstrate very good spatial awareness and hand-eye co-ordination
- Pupils who demonstrate an excellent understanding of PE terminology.
- Learn understand and adopt technical aspects of sport very quickly
- Can make correct decisions in pressure situations and adapt their technique accordingly
- Able to work independently and with initiative
Strategies for provision
- Allow pupils to work with outside coaches during some curriculum time.(where possible, dependent on timetable and time etc)
- To give access to outside clubs and coaches to help develop performers.
- Provide extension work which is exciting and challenging.
- Working with Gifted and talented co-ordinator to offer access to conferences and workshops to support development.
- Through the use of mentoring. (Peer and staff) provide a forum for support and communication.
- Provide access for communication between home and school through the PE gifted and talented Co-ordinator.
- Schemes of work include extension material.
- Curriculum enrichment opportunities are provided.
- A register of talented sports people in the school is compiled and up-dated on a regular basis.
- A lifestyle management programme will be provided for those pupils on the register (JAE Programme).
- Parents and Guardians are consulted and involved in the implementation of strategies to support their child.
- External individuals and agencies are involved in the planning and the implementation of these strategies.
Monitoring and Evaluating
The department will :-
- identify and monitor talented pupils.
- check that measures are in place to ensure that all pupils involved in Physical Education are able to reach the highest levels of achievement.
- have in place a broad, balanced curriculum for talented individuals, as well as for the group as a whole.
- maintain records of the achievements of the most able pupils year on year
- be aware of how identified pupils in PE are performing elsewhere within the school.