In this unit students gain an understanding of how global tourism is changing, why tourist areas need management for continued success, why tourists are looking out even more remote places than ever and whether ecotourism is the way to a more sustainable future for tourism.
There are five key ideas in this unit:
- The global growth of tourism has seen the exploitation of a range of different environments for holiday makers.
- Effective management strategies are the key to continuing prosperity of tourist areas in the UK.
- Mass tourism has advantages for an area but strategies need to be in place to reduce the likelihood of long-term damage.
- Extreme environments are susceptible to environmental damage from the development of tourism.
- Sustainability requires the development of ecotourism.