- Where are earthquakes and volcanoes found?
- Why do earthquakes and volcanoes happen?
- How do they affect us?
- Why do people live near to earthquakes and volcanoes?
- To describe how E&V are found in zones
- To explain how plates move
- To explain what happens when plates meet
- To create a stop animation film for one type of plate boundary
- To explain why Mt St Helens erupted
- To describe how Mt St Helens affected people
- To know that not all volcanoes are the same
- To describe how earthquakes affect people and to classify these impacts
- To explain why earthquakes have different impacts
- To know the causes and effects of the Asian tsunami
- To justify the responses to the Asian tsunami
- To explain why people live in E&V zones
- Written assessment
For general revision guidance click here.
Tectonic plates video
Mt St Helen’s song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp5MO77bFA4
Want to find out more?
Stop Disaster Game http://www.stopdisastersgame.org/en/home
Create a virtual volcano http://www.channelone.com/news/specials/disaster/swf_volcano/
Make your own volcano http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/education/for_fun/MakeyourownVolcano.pdf
- Volcanoes come in many shapes and sizes.
- What are the different types?
- How are they different from each other?
- Why are there different types of volcanoes?
- Disasters affect different countries in different ways. Many poorer nations suffer more than richer ones. If you were in charge of managing the recovery effort after an earthquake in a poorer country what would you do? Think about what your first priorities are but also think about limitations you have in terms of finance.