Welcome to the A-Level area!

For information about what to do in your personal study time, click here...

Year 12

 

During year 12 students will start with a mini project where they will explore some basic modelling techniques before starting their Coursework.

Their Coursework is made up of 3 projects; Product Analysis, Design Element and a Making Task.

We follow the Edexcel Exam board Specification. A link to their website can be found below. The Coursework is currently worth 60% of the overall AS mark. The other 40% is the exam at the end of year 12, this is assessed through a 1-hour and 30-minute paper set and marked by Edexcel.

http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/design-technology-product-design-2008.html

Throughout this year students will build up their theory knowledge by completing coursework and then complimenting this with additional theory sessions. Students will be given a range of example exam questions throughout the year to prepare them for the exam but students are encouraged to look at the example questions and past papers on the Edexcel website regularly.

Students are supplied with all materials needed for their projects during this year.

Students can be provided with an A3 display folder to display their work but may wish to purchase their own.

Students can collect their folders and practical work between October half term and the December holidays after their exam.

Please note: We are required by the exam board to keep work until this point.

Students will be provided with two textbooks at the start of year 12 and expected to return these once they have completed their studies in DT at Hinchingbrooke School. Students will be invoiced for these books if they are not returned. Students can purchase additional textbooks to support their studies, if students would like further advice on textbooks please contact the class teacher.

 

Year 13

 

During year 13 students will come up with a problem to work on for their coursework. This will have a client so they can question them and get feedback throughout the year.

We follow the Edexcel Exam board Specification. A link to their website can be found below. The Coursework is currently worth 60% of the mark for year 13. The other 40% is the exam at the end of year 13, this is assessed through a 1-hour and 30-minute paper set and marked by Edexcel.

http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/design-technology-product-design-2008.html

Throughout this year students will build up their theory knowledge by completing coursework and then complimenting this with additional theory sessions. Students will be given a range of example exam questions throughout the year to prepare them for the exam but students are encouraged to look at the example questions and past papers on the Edexcel website regularly.

Students will be provided with most materials and components but may need to purchase additional parts to compliment their project.

Students can be provided with an A3 display folder to display their work but may wish to purchase their own.

Students can collect their folders and practical work between October half term and the December holidays after their exam.

Please note: We are required by the exam board to keep work until this point.

Students can purchase textbooks to support their studies. If students would like further advice on textbooks please contact their class teacher.